Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity of Gallatin Valley
Guidelines for volunteers
- Age Limits: Youth must be at least 14 years old to volunteer on the construction site or at the ReStore. They must be at least 16 years old to perform construction work; otherwise, they can assist with landscaping, painting, cleanup, etc. Any volunteer under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult supervisor.
- All volunteers must sign a waiver of liability (minors must have the waiver signed by a parent or guardian). These waivers are at the worksites, and will be required before volunteering.
- Please dress appropriately, no open-toed sandals or flip-flops; no “short” shorts or revealing clothing; no necklaces or bracelets; dress for the weather.
- No smoking at the worksites or in buildings.
Volunteer on a construction project
Skilled or unskilled groups and individuals
We need skilled and unskilled individuals and groups to partner with us in building the homes, as well as to assist us with volunteer management. A particular volunteer need in construction is the expertise of professional sub-contractors, such as drywall tapers, vinyl/carpet installers, cabinet installers, and finish carpenters.
Our construction site is open Wednesday through Saturday, 9 am to 4 pm and Sunday 10 am to 4 pm. Individuals are welcome to volunteer during those times, and do not need to schedule in advance. If you would like to bring a group of volunteers (5 or more, limit 20), please go to Volunteer Connections of SW Montana or, contact the office to schedule the day and time. No experience or tools are necessary; Habitat will provide all tools and safety equipment, as well as instruction on specific tasks.
Women Build program
Women Build brings together women from all walks of life to help build Habitat for Humanity houses. Women Build challenges and empowers women to build safe, healthy housing where families can flourish and grow to be all that they can be. The Women Build program enables women to discover for themselves that they can build Habitat homes. No construction knowledge necessary!
Habitat groups and committees
Public Relations Committee
The Public Relations Committee is responsible for sharing Habitat's mission with the people living in the Gallatin Valley, and all volunteers. The goal of the committee is to continually seek to raise and maintain the community's awareness of Habitat's work in ways that properly reflect the mission, beliefs and image of Habitat for Humanity. Effective sharing of the Habitat mission with the entire community will raise public awareness and ultimately activate more people to be involved in some way, shape or form. It should also assist in additional leveraging of local resources.
Public Relations Members should:
- Be familiar with the basics of public relations and public awareness/education campaigns.
- Be familiar with working with the media (radio, TV, news, etc.)
- Be familiar with special event planning.
- Be enthusiastic, creative, committed, and advocacy-oriented.
- Be willing to participate in the activities planned by the PR committee know how to develop fact sheets, press releases, brochures, write letters, etc.
Habitat for Humanity of Gallatin Valley operates a second-hand building supply reclamation store in Belgrade, and we need volunteers to assist with retail sales, merchandise display, pricing, donation pick-up and other tasks. All profits from the store are used in home building. To donate time, or materials, contact:
230 Arden drive
Belgrade, MT 59714
Family Selection Committee
The Family Selection Committee works to carry out the Board's vision by defining the population in need of decent, affordable housing, and by developing processes and policies for selecting those in greatest need. Emphasis is on encouraging strengths and capacity in others, rather than on identifying and correcting perceived deficiencies or past mistakes.
Family Selection Members should:
- Have good "social/people" skills.
- Know the three selection criteria.
- Understand how to read credit reports.
- Be comfortable conducting home visits.
- Be willing to attend regular meetings and participate in the activities of Family Selection.
To volunteer please contact our office at:
Habitat for Humanity of Gallatin Valley
230 Arden Drive
Belgrade, MT 59714
Phone: (406) 388-8225
Fax: (406) 388-8226